pinkfroot

Home of Plane Finder, Ship Finder and more

Very rarely does a camera produce the perfect shot straight out of the box…at least mine doesn’t. What is done to an image after the shot has been taken can be the difference between an OK photo and a good photo. The location of ships and aircraft sometimes give you no choice when it comes to lighting and such, you take what you can get. In the interests of stimulating some discussion, the attached file is the way I go about cleaning up an image before posting it.

Views: 1820

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank You again Hans, yes over the years my health has become a right problem, but when you are young and going round the world on ships, and in those days there was none of these safety harnesses that they have now, you went up the mast with no rope, and a bosuns chair was just a bit wood with rope on it, you did not think of the future, when I was Shot in South Vietnam we where helping American troops to leave a Port that was being Over run by the NVA, I started shouting at them that they where Scum, and their Officer did not like that and opened up on me and the Ship, the American Lt saved my foot and I got a right telling of for being so stupid when I was better from my Skipper, but we where leaving the Port and I just got mad at this Little upstart, never again. and your right about it becoming obsessive , I now sit with my iPad on shipfinder, watching the Firth of Forth for ships coming in, I have one of my 2 VHF Hand held radios tuned into Forth Ports and the Pilot to see what ships will be going to what berth, but there was a flaw in my plan, Not Editing the Photo's, but now I have your notes on my BlackBerry, so I can look up and read just what to do, (my Photo Bible), So once again, thank you Hans.

Thought I'd have a go at re-writing this:

SHIPS

AIRCRAFT

Hi Hans that was a great re-write of Ships and Aircraft, and some thing every member of Pinkfroot should read to enhance this great web site. After all the pictures are being view all over the world.

Thanks Graham much appreciated. The trouble is that those who need to read this sort of thing are not the same people as those who actually do.

Nice tuturial, its never a good thing to use the shadows and highlights tool really too much in editing aviation photos as they can if over used produce halos and over processing. Also I think its always better to sharpen after using a denoise as these can over smooth the image

Darryl

Quite true Darryl, all of these tweaks should be used sparingly. I very rarely denoise unless I have to. I'll try sharpening afterwards next time, see how it looks.

Hans,

Excellent re-writing.

King

Hi Hans ,Well written up date on aircraft photography,very informative. Keith.

Thanks Hans. Good to get confirmation that what I am doing is pretty much what you are suggesting except I use Lightroom and tend to crop first. I think I will change my workflow to your approach and see how I go.

Oh I also tend to shoot in 4:3 and keep that crop ratio.

Regards

Andrew

Thanks for your comments Andrew, much appreciated. The order in which things are done is entirely optional and up to the individual. I crop first so I can adjust the light, contrast etc. on the final area to be presented.

I was primarily interested in stimulating a bit of interest in cleaning up some of the more obvious issues with some photos before uploading.

Cheers,

Hans, Perth

For those using Photoshop, Lightroom and Apple Aperture and not already aware of it the NIK collection of filters is now available for free from Google. The collection includes vintage camera filters, black-and-white controls, HDR effects, noise reduction, color correction, color enhancement, and sharpening and is available for either Mac or Windows. The collection has some great default options that don't want to spend all day trying to get something right.

I have also been playing with Google Nik Collection ... quite handy for photos of older rusty ships :)

https://flic.kr/p/PhX7Ae

RSS

Airline Finder keeps on growing!

Alaska is just one of a large number of recently updated airlines in the app. We're glad that they kept the Inuit!

Airline Finder updates in the background so look out for this and many more new airlines and liveries. More info here..

Airline Finder App

Free ADS-B Receiver

If we don't have coverage in your area and you are interested in helping out then we'd love to hear from you.

Events

Plane Finder Aviation Forum

Our aviation forum is now live over on planefinder.net

We look forward to seeing you there - just click on the logo above!

© 2017   Created by pinkfroot   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service